Friday, February 28, 2014

Some good, some not so good

I'm not afraid to admit it, I slept in today. By sleeping in I mean that I stayed in bed until 10 am and tossed and turned. I finally decided to get out of bed and go to the hospital to find out what I was up against today. When I got there, mind you Aaron had been there for a few hours, the docs were all in there. One never knows if this is a good thing or a bad thing. This time, they were just rounding...so, nothing bad was happening. They were going down on some of his sedation and vent settings again. Good news. They were going to pull out his chest tubes. Good news. We'll try to extubate tomorrow. Good news!

He had an ECHO today to look at how his function of the heart was. Mostly, everything looked good. The bad news is that his new pulmonary valve has moderate to severe leakage; it was originally mild. No one knows what all of this means. They don't think they'll have to replace it again during this hospitalization...at this point anyways. The other concern is that the pacer is doing all of the work for his heart. They are going to give him a few more days to be extubated, to come down on some of the sedatives, and to let him wake up. The hope is that his heart can figure it out and start doing the work on its own. If not, we may be looking at another surgery to get a pacemaker placed. We've been given 50/50 odds. Uggh! Poor Nathan. This little guy is having such a hard time; not to mention mom and dad are too. We pray that over the next few days he can be extubated and stay that way. We pray that his heart will wake up and start pacing itself. We pray that this leaky valve doesn't mean he has to have another OHS and be replaced now. For the time being, we continue to wait.

1 comment:

  1. Continuing to pray for you all. I can't imagine this waiting daily for Nathan to come around. I know it has to be hard. BUT I just know he will because I've been praying and holding onto Mark 11:24.

    ReplyDelete